Wednesday 30 November 2016

Five of the Reasons I love my Husband

In an effort to focus more on gratitude, especially in time for the Christmas holidays, I wanted to share some of the things I love most about my husband.

Reflecting on my husband and my marriage in this way was really positive for me, and I would really encourage you to sit down and write down five of your own reasons to love the partner in your life.

You might be surprised by the things that come to mind. I know I was!




1. He gets really excited about things. 

How boring would it be to live with a person that was never excited about anything? And while the things he is passionate about are sometimes completely beyond my understanding, I love and appreciate this about him.


The Saskatchewan Roughriders, Tim Neufeld and the Glory Boys. Ice fishing, regular fishing. (Yeah, one of his favourite things has the word ice right there in the title. )

He loves most holidays, but especially Halloween as it involves making costumes, and he loves making (and wearing) costumes. He loves cooking, especially if he can copy-cat something from a restaraunt that we love, but most of all, he loves, and gets so excited about, our kids.

I cannot tell you how long we stood in Winners deliberating over vehicles, and in Michaels choosing animals for Christmas presents. He was right in there with me, weighing pros and cons, inspecting each one, and he was just as excited as me to get home with the garbage truck we bought to take it out of its packaging and see how it worked.

Like me, he cares so much about these things, and is intent on making childhood as special for our kids as he can. He is excited about making a fort to watch Toy Story in, so excited to do things like Trick or Treating and gingerbread house making, and that brings me to my next point.


2. He is an amazing dad. 

He is compassionate with the children, sometimes to a fault, and it takes an awful lot to make him impatient, especially with the kids.

I spent a lot of time around kids, did a lot of babysitting, and was the third oldest in a pretty big family, so taking care of kids comes really naturally to me. Tharin was the youngest in his family, even among the cousins, so his experience with children was completely opposite to mine.


But he constantly surprises me with his natural instinct. I spent a lot of my early years of life thinking about how I was going to parent. Yes, I was that kid.

I distinctly remember coming to the terrifying realization that I was forgetting one important detail - the influence of my children's dad, an as-yet completely unknown factor in my whole parenting gig.

Not knowing who this person would be, I harbored concerns about if we would agree on all the little details of parenting, if he would the kind of nurturing I imagined for my kids, if he would be supportive.

Then I met Tharin. And my fears dissipated almost immediately.

I chose Tharin for a lot of reasons, but I remember my mom saying, I understand why you would pick Tharin, he is going to be a great dad, and this has definitely been proven to be true.

3. He is wise. 

He does not do nearly as much reading as I do, but most of the time, he completely understands or implements the things I decide to do in my reading, sometimes before I even talk to him. Like I said, he has natural instincts, and he knows when to follow them.

He always has such a reasonable and wise answer to questions I have, especially about the faith, and I completely trust that he is genuine in what he says. Honestly, I have no idea how he seems to know so much, but I am so grateful that he does, so grateful that he is the leader in that way. He makes our home safe and makes me feel grounded because of how steady and sure he is.

He is not generally the guy to be the center of attention, does not have a flashy personality, but I think that when Tharin has something to say, people listen.


4. He gets me (and I get him)

Overall, we have a pretty light-hearted marriage. We like to dance in the kitchen together, and are always laughing about one thing or another. This is something I knew about us pretty early on into our dating relationship, that we just got each other, but having this kind of joy-filled friendship has been the greatest blessing in marriage.

I can truly say that Tharin is my best friend, and that spending time with him, even if we are doing nothing but watching stupid Jimmy Fallon videos on his phone, is my favourite thing in the world.

We agree on so many things already, and the best thing we agree on, is that we are committed to figuring out a middle ground if we don't get something at first.

5. He is an early riser.

In all sincerity, this makes the top five list because it is just such a major thing in our marriage. I never would have known how important being married to an early bird would be, but being a night owl means mornings are hard sometimes, so the fact that Tharin does all the mornings when he is home, makes me unspeakably grateful.

And, when he gets up early, he always makes a pot of coffee (bless him), and, I swear, in our three years of marriage it has never been up to me to get breakfast on the table, so I don't even know how to make a fancy breakfast. Unless it's a weekday and you're getting cereal, kid.

This is imperative when we have guests over, as, even if we were up until all hours the night before, Tharin is always up making breakfast scramble and a pot of coffee - probably saying something like, this isn't my best breakfast, while we roll out of bed.

Not to even mention how cute he looks in a toque or when he has a new haircut, and hey, we made two babies already, so that part isn't so bad either.

There you have it, a few of the reasons I appreciate my husband.

What are some of yours?


Thank you for reading and thank you for following our story. I so appreciate every single reader that stops by this little corner of the internet to share a little bit with us. May you enjoy a wonderful Christmas.

And if you are interested in following along in our daily adventures, follow us on Instagram where I post daily.



God bless,
Olivia Fischer









2 comments:

  1. I love this Olivia! You're a lucky gal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I miss my fishies, especially the king fish over there

    ReplyDelete

09 10